Written by Marian Rose
This wonderful collection of Canadian Dance Favorites is unique because it does NOT contain any Square Dances! Instead, it focuses on the rich Canadian dance tradition with selections from many Provinces. All of the dances are traditional or based on traditional figures that were created to present in your school or community.
Here’s the second child in the Step Lively family, a collection of old and new dances that are favourites of dancers in Canada.
Many of these dances are widely known across the country, but are rarely seen in collections. Each dance includes a short history, with tips for successful teaching and many include musical notation.
Seven of the dances are suitable for primary grades, the rest are best done with intermediate grades, or adult or family groups.
The CD which accompanies the book contains 14 tunes skillfully arranged, impeccably recorded and irresistably danceable. All the tunes are either common in the Canadian fiddle repertoire or were written by Canadian musicians, including originals by Marian Rose, Daniel Thonon (of Ad Vielle Que Pourra), and Andy de Jarlais. In fact, Step Lively Two stands on its own as a great listening CD.
The recording was engineered by Juno- award-winning Paul Gitlitz, best known for his work with Charlotte Diamond, and features many of the same quality musicians as the first:
- Mike Schway – fiddle and diatonic accordion
- Calvin Cairns – fiddle
- Marian Rose – piano, accordion and vocals
- Michael Hambrook – clarinet and sax
- Ginny Snowe – bass
- Dave Jonsson – drums
- Paul Gitlitz – backup vocals
- Polka Medley, Jig Medley, The Butterfly, Bal in Karlstad (Schottisch)
- Heel Toe Away We Go, French Minuet, La Bastringue, Les Saluts
- Partie de Lancier (La Plongeuse), Zaporozech (Traffic Jam)
- John Kanakanaka, Pride & Joy Polka, Reel Medley, Valse Joyale
Only 1 left in stock